If you’ve been charged with a crime, it is essential that you give yourself the best possible chance of obtaining a result that will minimize the impact that those charges will have on your life. The way to accomplish that goal is to get help from a California criminal defense attorney as soon as you possibly can. Here are five additional reasons why you need a California criminal defense attorney.
- A criminal conviction of any kind has consequences that can affect your present and future life and the lives of your loved ones. Traffic violations, drug or alcohol charges, and other seemingly minor infractions carry severe penalties that could curtail your freedom for years to come. Your criminal defense attorney will help you learn how you can minimize the impact of your current criminal charges on your life.
- Whether you qualify for the services of a public defender or not, you may want to consider private representation. Public defenders are experienced, highly trained attorneys who provide quality legal representation. However, clients who use the services of a public defender are not able to choose which public defender represents them. A strong attorney-client relationship is a foundation for a successful working relationship that will produce the best possible outcome. When you seek private representation, you get to talk with or meet with one or more attorneys before you choose an attorney that you feel comfortable working with.
- One critical aspect of your criminal case is the strength or weakness of the case against you. An experienced criminal defense attorney can examine the facts of your case to determine whether any mistakes were made by law enforcement or other parties involved in the case. Any errors that got made by law enforcement or others, from their initial contact with you to any interactions that took place along the way, could provide opportunities for your defense against the charges. Your attorney understands all of the rules that pertain to evidence, how it can be obtained, and how it must be handled. They can identify any evidentiary issues that are present in your case and build them into a solid defense strategy that they will employ on your behalf.
- The State has an attorney, the prosecutor, and they are your adversary. They are a formidable adversary because they not only have an in-depth knowledge of the law, they want to win the case for the State. You can avoid being on the wrong side of a power imbalance inside and outside of the courtroom by working with a criminal defense attorney whose knowledge of the law is on par with that of the prosecutor, and whose motivation is to win your case for you.
- Perhaps the best reason to work with a criminal defense attorney is that when you do, your case will be in the hands of someone who cares deeply about the outcome. Criminal defense attorneys fight hard to obtain the best possible results for their clients, and you can have someone fighting for you who is motivated by justice and fairness.
If you or a family member has been arrested and charged with a crime and you’re reading this article, you already know that you need to act quickly and strategically to ensure the best outcome possible. Your chances of dismissal or reduced charges are significantly higher if you work with an experienced criminal defense lawyer in Orange County.